[Zope-dev] Re: ANNOUNCE: Zope 2.2.1 released - breaks my zclass instances too.

Dr. Ross Lazarus rossl@med.usyd.edu.au
Wed, 30 Aug 2000 08:06:29 +1000

I'm a little confused - which is not unusual, so please bear with me.

I'm absolutely sure that NONE of the things which were broken in the
original Data.fs had the slightest/faintest connection with any of the
products I expunged. It was removing the cruft alone which fixed the
problem.

Doesn't this (and the other episode reported by Andy) raise the issue of
what we can do to ensure that a broken product or piece of a product
doesn't stop a healthy product and its instances (completely independent
in the sense of not using any of the broken product's base classes or
classes) from working?

The instances which were broken were multi-level zclasses which included
ObjectManager and CatalogAware in their base classes. The relevant
products were entirely healthy. The things I got rid of included two
broken things which I never tried to fix (ZDConfera, ZDiscussions) plus
some left over stuff (ZopePTK, PTKBase, PTKDemo, Wizard, Membership,
LoginManager and a few other bits and pieces which I didn't need
although they didn't appear broken..) - none of which had any connection
to the broken zclasses in terms that I can understand - other than
sharing/breaking an otherwise healthy ZODB.

--

Dr Ross Lazarus
Associate Professor and Sub-Dean for Information Technology