[Zope-dev] SQLAlias Memory Leak?

Dyon Balding dyon@devcoder.com.au
Wed, 6 Dec 2000 09:06:47 +1100

Hi,

I have an application that stores state data in a
SQLServer database.  The Zope and database servers
run on different windows machines, using the ZODBCDA
product to connect Zope to the ODBC machinery.

What I have been observing is that the Zope client's
memory usage increases consistently when ZSQL methods
are being called.  In the Debug screens, the
culprit appears to be Shared.DC.ZRDB.RDB.SQLAlias.

Here's a dump of the first few lines after hitting
a ZSQL method a few hundred times using ab.  The
SQLAlias figures never seem to go down.

Class
                                                December 5, 2000
                                                1:58 pm
                                                                     December 5, 2000
                                                                     2:01 pm
                                                                                         Delta
        Shared.DC.ZRDB.RDB.SQLAlias
                                                1048
                                                                     4068
                                                                                         +3020
        ZClasses.ZClass.ZClass
                                                73
                                                                     108
                                                                                         +35
        OFS.DTMLMethod.DTMLMethod
                                                63
                                                                     94
                                                                                         +31

In fact most of our servers run out of memory and need
to be restarted every couple of days when they get
sufficient use.

I've done a bit of a search of the mailing lists, and noone
else appears to be having the same problem.  So does
anyone have an idea of what we might be doing differently
to everyone else?  We appear to have the latest versions
installed.

I've had a bit of a look through the code, and it appears
that SQLAlias is used to case desensitize the column names
of the returned data?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

thanks, d

--