[Zope-dev] Significance of the ZODB split?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:27:11 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Robin Becker wrote:

> Anyone know why AM Kuchling needs to split off a Sourceforge project
> based on ZODB?

I don't think it's a "split", but AMK is using ZODB internally at his
job, and externally with his own projects, so I can see him wanting to
have some control over the distribution that he uses.

Other than that, there could be other reasons, we, for example, do not
provide a mechanism for community checkin privledges, Sourceforge
does.  I don't think we have a ZODB specific mailing list, sourceforge
offers this.

That being said, I'm pretty sure we've allways kept up with Andrew's
patches and suggestions, and we'd be happy to create a mailing list.

Andrew has also extended any developer at DC checkin privledges at the
sourceforge project; although I suspect we'll just continue to check
into our CVS and he'll "sync" with us that which he wants.  I am, in
particular, barely not lazy enough to check stuff into branches, much
less whole other repositories. ;)

> I really liked the ZEO examples, but where's this going?

It's just open source.  More power to him in my opinion.  He's
definatly taking Zope and ZEO to new levels and audiences.

-Michel