[Zope-dev] Significance of the ZODB split?

Jeremy Hylton jeremy@digicool.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 15:36:37 -0500 (EST)

  RB> Anyone know why AM Kuchling needs to split off a Sourceforge
  RB> project based on ZODB? I really liked the ZEO examples, but
  RB> where's this going?

It is the most expedient way to start opening ZODB development,
including ZEO, up to a larger audience of developers.  Andrew's
project will focus primarily on packaging, testing, and
documentation.  In the short term, the easiest way to accommodate his
needs are to have his own SF project.

The plan is to have the two different CVS repositories integrated at
the level of working directories.  Developers will probably end up
with checkouts of both CVS trees, knit together so that Andrew's setup
scripts and the like encapsulates the source code from the DC tree.
(This setup makes the initial checkout a little complicated, but cvs
update should work normally.)

Andrew, Jim, and I and the rest of the PythonLabs team chatted about
these plans over Chinese food on Wednesday.  PythonLabs plans to get
much more involved in ZODB development.  One goal of that involvement
is to promote ZODB's use within the Python community, and Andrew's
work is an important part of that promotion.

Jeremy