[Zope-dev] RE: objectIds accessiblilty & and a proposal

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 19:33:21 +0000

Brian Lloyd wrote:

> This comes up often enough that I'm inclined to do
> something about it for 2.3. I propose that objectIds
> (and objectValues) will not be directly accessible
> via the Web in 2.3. For xml-rpc applications, it should
> be a simple enough task to create a Python Script (or
> even a DTML Method) that *is* Web accessible to relay
> that information if it is needed.
>
> Thoughts?

I have no objections to that.

On a related issue, what about other dtml snippets that people generally
don't want as web accessible, such as standard_html_header ?

On my pie-in-the-sky zope wishlist:

What I'd like is a new tab for zope objects that allows me to say which
protocols the object is accessible from, and what to do if not.

For example:

   access route             accessible?        action

   called from template     yes
   http on port 8080        no                 return 404
   ftp                      yes

Another example:

   access route             accessible?        action

   called from template     yes
   http on port 8080        no                 redirect to URL1

If medusa is ever extended to have http and https on different ports,
then you could declare different accessible states and actions for the
different http ports.

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer