[Zope-dev] Scheduler product, anyone?

Loren Stafford lstafford@icompression.com
Fri, 4 Feb 2000 09:15:11 -0800

What I have in mind is a product that includes a schedule data structure
containing tuples of (date/time, method to call), a Dispatcher method, and a
Scheduler method:

1. Cron runs a Dispatcher method via RPC.

2. Dispatcher looks in schedule table, finds next scheduled method in table,
and runs it as a separate transaction (could use RPC), and removes the entry
from the table.

3. Schedule-aware objects can use the Scheduler method to schedule one of
their methods for execution at a given time. The schedule-aware object would
specify the URL of scheduled method. Simple RPC would be the default.
XML-RPC would be possible (but as I have no need for it I probably would
leave a hook to extend the product). Repetitive tasks can reschedule
themselves each time they are called.

I have no experience doing this kind of stuff, so I welcome all inputs. (It
sounds like the kernel of an OS.) I bet it's not as simple as it appears to
me at this time.

-- Loren