[Zope-dev] Zope componentry

Jeff Bauer jbauer@rubic.com
Fri, 04 Feb 2000 20:56:10 -0600

Hi All.

Andrew Kuchling posted the following message on
comp.lang.python about his nght2html.py module.

His message reminded me that it's a bit of a
hassle maintaining code that relies on one or more
of the Zope components, compared to the relatively
simple way of dealing with Bobo code.

[ amk ]
> It's perfectly possible to use DTML outside of Zope;
> nght2html, the templating system I use for my Web
> pages, uses DocumentTemplate because I didn't want
> to write and maintain Yet Another templating syntax,
> and DocumentTemplate has practically all the bells
> and whistles you need.

> http://www.mems-exchange.org/software/python/nght2html/

Zope appears to be presently distributed as a single,
monolithic package.  It was formerly available as
downloadable components.  (Is there a link to older
versions available?)  I can understand that Digital
Creations does not have the available bandwidth to
continue to support distributing individual components.
However, I'm interested in developing a long-term strategy
that will allow me to continue to use Zope components
(ZODB, ZTemplate, etc.) in a portable, low-maintenance
kinda way.

Jeff Bauer
Rubicon Research