[Zope-dev] Helping Digital Creations fix bugs - suggestions

Itamar Shtull-Trauring itamars@ibm.net
Tue, 08 Feb 2000 19:26:44 +0200

I just answered a question on the Zope list about a bug in Gadfly which
doesn't allow linebreaks.  I was at least the second person to encounter
this bug - I got the answer from someone else.  The solution is to delete
1(!) character.  I submitted it to the Collector, and now it says:
   Submitted: 2000/01/11
   * * * This item is under review * * *

okay, there was a conference, and it's not so big a bug, but I get the
feeling nobody ever read the bug report, since fixing it takes 30 seconds at
the most.  I doubt it'll be fixed until someone from DC find the bug
independently.

I know DC asked about this at the conference, but I think people who weren't
there might think of something too.

Some uggested solutions (from what DC promised/suggested or):

1. Hand out portions of Zope to outside people (stuff like load_site.py or
StructuredText comes to mind).  I'd volunteer for load_site (proof of
competence will be presented once I check that my merge with CVS actually
works :).
 and/or
Setup a (moderated?) mailing-list for each component devoted only to that
specific component and force ZComponent's maintainer to read it.  I'm
thinking zope-zcatalog and zope-sql and zope-zpublisher, modeled after the
mozilla and ptk lists.  How many patches sent to zope-dev or zope lists got
lost in the all the noise?

2. Change Collector so it has categories for stuff like Gadfly,
StructuredText - for every Zope component.  Remove obsolete stuff like
ZTables.  If I file a Gadfly bug, it should be emailed to the ZGadflyDA
maintainer.

Switch to Roundabout (http://www.lfw.org/python) when it's released?

Anybody else have suggestions?

--