[Zope-dev] Zope (or Python?) not completely thread-safe...?!

Jeff K. Hoffman jeff@goingv.com
Fri, 11 Feb 2000 12:02:42 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, Jim Fulton wrote:

> > i would have expected one thread to be waiting and the others to be
> > serving requests as usual...
>
> Me to. In general, that's the case.  Someone should dig into the
> SMTP code to see where the interpreter is being blocked.
>
> FWIW, I'd like to see SMTP work quite a bit differently.
> First, I'd like to see SMTP sending delayed until transaction commit.
> Second, I'd like to see sending done asynchronously.  It would be
> nice, when using ZServer, to take advantage of asyncore to send email
> messages.

Hey, Jim!

We are in the process of transitioning our main web asset to Zope. This
site sends broadcast e-mails to all of its members (10,000+) when an
important news item is posted to the site, which can potentially happen
more than once a day.

I am obviously (due to the volume we send out) interested in providing
Zope with more robust, high performance SMTP mail capabilities. The items
you mention above would be a great start to addressing our needs.
Therefore, I can probably find some (in-office and home) time to work on
this.

I will see what I can do on my own, but I'm not too familiar with the
transaction internals of Zope, or ayncore/ZServer. Any comments from you
or the list on architecture, or simply tips and/or things to think about,
would do much to speed my progress, I'm sure.

My schedule is a bit crazy for the next few weeks, so no promises, but I
will give it a shot.

> Jim

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman                                         704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer                                mailto:jeff@goingv.com
Going Virtual, L.L.C.                                   http://www.goingv.com/