[Zope-dev] Re: Fwd: Re: [Zope-dev] Performance

Bill Anderson bill.anderson@libc.org
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 22:22:25 -0700

Federico Di Gregorio wrote:

> Hi,
>
>         i write to tell you that zope can do much better but even
> much worser. the site www.tradinglab.com is powered by 4 netfinity
> and each of them is capable to handle about 150000 hits a day for
> a total of 600000+ hits. we use a modified kernel (see the linux
> virtual server pages, www.linux-vs.org) and apache+zope.
>
>         the "worse" part is that the 2 biprocessor machines rate
> really bad when compared with the monoprocessor ones. and under
> a heavy load zope does much better when forced to use only 1 or 2
> threads. with more threads it just lock. the problem is more evident
> on the 2-processor box, maybe evidentiating a deadlock problen.

I get the feeling the problem lies in the kernel. I have done extensive
testing of this on several of my boxen, and do not see this.

Zope 2.1.4
Linux 2.2.13ac3
target page=452 bytes

ab -n 1000 -c 10 ....
shows zope on 5 threads with a very slight edge over zope with one (or
two) thread.

Your Netfinitys should be able to handle _much_ more than that (unless
they are really old, like some of my stuff ;).

On myy p133, Zope can pull 950K hits/day over a 10MB ethernet, according
to ab (11x3600x24 rounded down) with '-t 5' and 1 hit/second less with
'-t 1'.
(difference is rounded. At no time was the Requests/second stat from ab
greater than 1.2, and always in favor of the threads>2 ).

Stats for my Alpha 233 (only 48MB RAM :( ) can likewise sustain these
hitrates.

Of course, these are with a single, non-intricate page. Complex pages
will require longer times to complete, but that also means your clients
(surfers) will be requesting less pages per second ;) YMMV.

There are issues with the python global interpreter lock, but I believe
the disparity you are indicating points to a kernel/OS issue. You did
compile SMP into the kernel, right ;)

Curious, are you saying you are using four machines to load-balance the
site? If so, how are you handling Zope across the machines? ZEO?

>         if you want better statistics i can post to this list the
> webalizer generated html pages.

Please don't. A URL would be fine, though. :)

BTW, how many people knew there were over 250 Zope sites on the web,
with roughly 69% of them running .coms? :) (as of January 200, only
counting sites that report themselves as Zope)

>            Nobody will ever need more than 640k RAM! -- Bill Gates, 1981
>            Windows 95 needs at least 8 MB RAM.       -- Bill Gates, 1996
>            Nobody will ever need Windows 95.       -- logical conclusion

Sweet. I rather like that one. :)

Bill

--
In flying I have learned that carelessness and overconfidence are
usually far more dangerous than deliberately accepted risks.