[Zope-dev] ZODB & packing (Re: [Zope-dev] TIP: Must enable 'new' for FreeBSD Python 1.5.2 port to install PythonMethods)

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 21:08:55 -0200

On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 03:58:26PM -0700, Bill Anderson wrote:
> Lalo Martins wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 18, 2000 at 10:57:37PM +0200, Petru Paler wrote:
> > >
> > >    As a side note. *Don't* use BannerFolder's counters. You will get the
> > > banner copied for each impression :-/
> >
> > Not really. ZODB is smarter than that. The set of properties is
> > copied, not the image. (AFAIK)
>
> Hmm ... this could explain the moderate growth of my Data.fs.
>
> Packing removed the 'older versions' apparently, if this was indeed the
> cause.

Yes. As I'm using BannerFolder quite heavily, I acquired the
habit of packing weekly. It usually drops size by about 80%,
and this considering that I only delete objects older than 7
days.

> I don't suppose there is a way for an object to remove any previous
> versions programmatically?

This is a good question.

But even if there isn't, you can program a cron job to pack
your database - look for my Zope/Cron Howto.

[]s,
                                               |alo
                                               +----
                 Resistance is futile.