[Zope-dev] multiple ZODB files?

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 06 Jan 2000 19:23:12 +0000

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> [...]

I'll add that we have thought quite a bit about it, just
not enough.  It's harder than one might at first expect.

> but ZODB was architected to be multi-DB aware.

Unfortunately, I suspect more architectural work
will be needed too. :(

Some issues:

  - How to handle references accross databases.
    At a basic level, this is not too hard, but...

  - How to handle garbage collection in a multi-db environment.
    Oops.  Storages are currently responsible for GC.  This won't
    account for references from other databases.

  - How do databases get connected, from a UI point of view.
    Do you get to specify a database when you add an object?
    Any object?  Where do databases get defined?

    One idea I just thought of would be to have a databases
    area of the control panel where one could add database
    objects that modeled root database objects. Then, perhaps
    one would do the moral equivalent of a link from an object in
    one db to another.....

  - .... There are probably other issues I haven't thought of.

If anyone wants to work on this, I'd be willing to set up a mailing
list and provide advice.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.