[Zope-dev] IMAP Server

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 02:01:40 +0200

Michel Pelletier wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Hi, I think I recall you being interested in writing an IMAP server in
> Python.  I have begun writing an IMAP server, and I was curious if you'd
> like to join me in the development.
>
> I have an IMAP server based on asychat, my own protocol handler, and
> ZODB.  Zope itegration is imminently planned.  Below is the readme.
>
> I'll be setting up a site on starship tonight/tommorow to host the
> project.  Are interested?

I've been planning writing an IMAP server (at least initiually in python)
that uses PostgreSQL as it's data store for quite a while now.
The thing that currently makes it kludgey is yet inadequate support for long
(>8k) strings and inefficient storage for BLOB's (for keeping attachments)
The first is being currently addressed (probably in timeframe of ~3 months)
the second is doable in several ways but there is no consensus yet how to do
it.

So, yes I'm interested.

I'm also interested, weather it is possible to use IMAP as an access protocol
for editing zope contents. AFAIK there are some provisions for storing edited
contents in IMAP4 and most properties can probably be expressed as header
lines
or nested mailboxes?

Hannu