[Zope-dev] Zope hanging on high loads

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Thu, 20 Jan 2000 10:03:20 -0500

Frederico,

This is for Zope 2.X... you can turn on debug logging inside z2.py
by inserting the following into the z2.py script somewhere near the end:

from ZServer import DebugLogger
logfile=os.path.join(INSTANCE_HOME,'var/debug.log')
DebugLogger.log=DebugLogger.DebugLogger(logfile).log

Then create the following debug.log analyzer script:

import string, sys

def analyze(f):
    requests={}
    while 1:
        line=f.readline()
        line=string.strip(line)
        if not line:
            break
        code, id = string.split(line)[:2]
        codes=requests.get(id, [])
        codes.append(line)
        if len(codes) == 4:
            del requests[id]
            print '.',
        else:
            requests[id]=codes
    print
    for id, l in requests.items():
        print 'request', id, 'did not end\n', string.join(l, '\n'), '\n'

if __name__=='__main__':
    analyze(open(sys.argv[1]))

ZServer's debug log (debug.log) will start to pile up.  When you
come across a few crashes, run the debug log file through the
analyzer script.  You will see on which methods the site is
taking a long time.  Investigate those methods.

The analyzer script is Amos' (thanks Amos!)

HTH,

Chris