[Zope-dev] LICENSE.txt: license has been certified as Open Source(tm)?

Holger Blasum holger@avendo.de
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 11:57:30 +0100

Hi,

zope is exciting. Closely before becoming too enamoured, let me ask
a newbie question (possibly FAQ) for clarification on this (obvious)
snippet...

LICENSE.txt

>Zope Public License (ZPL) Version 1.0
>-------------------------------------
>
>Copyright (c) Digital Creations.  All rights reserved.
>
>This license has been certified as Open Source(tm).

(tm) - Uhh, well Open Source is not a trademark:

 "``Open Source'' is not and cannot become a trademark."
 Eric S. Raymond, President, President Board of Directors, OSI
 (OSI had previously applied for it) 16 June 1999
(http://www.opensource.org/press_releases/certified-open-source.html)

But maybe this when LICENSE.txt was written in the dark ages where OSI
still applied for that trademark, so perhaps it was intended to mean
"certified by OSI" ?

Or whom or what has been the certifier mentioned in the license (I feel
not sure whether par. 5 would pass very strict criteria, but on the
other hand par. 7 alleviates it) ?

Again let me emphasize that I think Digital Creations is doing a really
cool job; this is not necessarily political overcorrectness (but might
be of some importance for the marketing guys if we go for it), just
being curious, ;-)

--
Holger Blasum
80336 Muenchen, Germany