[Zope-dev] LICENSE.txt: license has been certified as Open So urce(tm)?

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:47:04 -0500

You're right.

>  "``Open Source'' is not and cannot become a trademark."
>  Eric S. Raymond, President, President Board of Directors, OSI
>  (OSI had previously applied for it) 16 June 1999
> (http://www.opensource.org/press_releases/certified-open-source.html)
>
> But maybe this when LICENSE.txt was written in the dark ages where OSI
> still applied for that trademark, so perhaps it was intended to mean
> "certified by OSI" ?

The license was written in Jan/Feb of 1999, a few months before it was
determined that it was not a tm.

> Or whom or what has been the certifier mentioned in the
> license (I feel
> not sure whether par. 5 would pass very strict criteria, but on the
> other hand par. 7 alleviates it) ?

Bruce Perens (the other half of OSI) was our 'certifier'.  Our license
should be corrected.

-Michel