[Zope-dev] Product Data Storage

Martijn Pieters mj@digicool.com
Mon, 3 Jul 2000 16:14:24 +0200

On Fri, Jun 30, 2000 at 12:48:54PM -0700, Loren Stafford wrote:
> I haven't thought much about this; I just followed mj's original design.
> Maybe there was some reason for this decision. Any comment Martijn?

> > Loren Stafford wrote:
> > > In that case we decided to put the Schedule in the root folder.  There
> > > is no more global data than the catalog itself, but if there were it
> > > could be stored in the catalog folder, since catalogs are folderish.
> >
> > Hmm, this is messy. Could the Catalog not be stored in your case in:
> > /Control Panel/Products/ZScheduler and in Andy's case in: /Control
> > Panel/Products/ZMailIn ?

I put the ZScheduler object in the root folder for acquisition reasons, so
that it could be found by all event objects. Technically, there is no reason
to move this to a different, known path of course.

But I do think that placing this information in /Control_Panel/Products/* is a
bad idea, for the same reason that placing software data in /usr/bin is bad.
You want to keep source/binaries and data separated. Maybe you can add a
subobject to Control_Panel itself: /Control_Panel/ZScheduler.

--
Martijn Pieters