[Zope-dev] zope and UNIX permissions

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:46:43 -0400

One way to deal with this (as with any tarball) is to not preserve
ownership on an untar.   As I mentioned before, if the user you untar as
is the root user, gnutar preserves ownership *by default* (see the
--preserve-permissions option to gnutar).  On the other hand, if you
don't untar as root, file ownership is set to the user who does the
untarring for all files in the tarball.

The 'nobody' user doesn't exist on all UNIX variants, and for the ones
in which it does exist, it does not necessarily have the same UID.  As a
result, changing the ownership of the files in the source tarball to our
'nobody' UID (built on RH Linux) would be not completely adequate for
other UNIX variants and as so is not really a solution.   The problem is
client-side and is defintely not Zope specific.  The solution is to not
preserve ownership when untarring the file.  This means *don't untar as
root*.  This goes for all tarred file collections you install (not just
Zope).