[Zope-dev] Using Zope in a client-server system

Jim Sanford jsanford@atinucleus.com
Sun, 5 Mar 2000 08:53:12 -0600

Possible solution - If it is possible.

I have an idea. Unfortunately I don't currently know enough about the internals of HTTP to know if the idea is feasible. I hope
someone on this list does and can tell me whether the idea is workable or not.

If I understand correctly,  a browser sends a http request to the server for a particular window or frame and then waits for the
server to respond. After a certain amount of time it times out and stops waiting for a response and puts up an error message.

Is there a way to allow or force a frame or window to wait indefinitely for a response to it's request? If so, could not a small
window or frame be created at the beginning of a session that sends a request to the server containing info about who is now
connected. The method activated by the request would log the request particulars in either ZODB or a backend db. When an event ocurs
that the server needs to notify the client about it retrieves the info about the open request and uses that info to generate a
response. The response could also reset the state of the window/frame to again send another request and begin waiting indefinitely.
This request would be more along the lines of an aknowledgement that the client is still connected and has received the response.

Does this seem possible??

Jim Sanford