[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope sendmail tag inconsistent

Hannu Krosing hannu@tm.ee
Tue, 07 Mar 2000 11:48:35 +0200

Jason Spisak wrote:

> Zopists,
>
> Has anyone else noticed that the endmail tag will sometimes not send a
> mail even though the dtml method sucessfully completes? It's about one
> out of ten at high traffic times, and it happened on Zope.org too when I
> tested it by emailing my password to myself a few times.

I had a system where it failed (also silently) every first time after reboot.

I just moved to an external method that used /usr/sbin/sendmail as I did
not have enough time to start debugging. Telnet to port 25 had just a very
long (>30 sec) startup time, probably some DNS problem.

AFAIK Zope does not (for some unknown reasons to me) use pythons SMTPlib
but has rolled their own smtp interface.

It has also been reported to fail with MS Exchange server, which someone
fixed for himself by swithing to smtplib. IIRC the patches were also posted
to zope or zope-dev list.

IMHO the right solution for Zope would be swithing to smtplib, and if there
are faults then fix them there (and maybe include fixed smtplib with Zope
until fixes are included in mail python distro). There is no need to invent
to similar but slightly and differently broken wheels, at least in Open
Source Software there aint.

Hannu