[Zope-dev] ZPublisher and Apache

Kaweh Kazemi kaweh@neo.at
Tue, 7 Mar 2000 11:05:04 +0100

hi all,

first: i am a ZOPE newbie, so please be patient. :)

what i've done til now: i've installed Apache (1.3.9 on Win2K) and i am
using httpdapy to access Python-CGI-scripts. i've done some CGI programming
before, and realized, that maintaining good CGI scripts is hard work. :)

then i found ZPublisher (AFAIK called BOBO before, right), which i liked
very much. i read the article at

http://classic.zope.org:8080/Documentation/Reference/ObjectPublishingIntro

and was fascinated. that was exactly what i needed. so, i got ZOPE, and got
ZPublisher to work with httpdapy. great.

but now i am constantly running into problems: ZPublisher works great.

but i also want to use DocumentTemplate and ZODB.

DocumentTemplate works ok, but if i change a .dtml, the new file isn't
reloaded, so i have to restart the server, to see my changes. i know, that
this is not ZOPEs fault - httpdapy is only reloading modules, which have
changed, so i have also to "change" the module, which loads the .dtml file.
maybe someone has a better solution?

ZODB can't be used in that constellation, cause the database is locked, and
if i change the main module, i get a error:

    StorageSystemError: Could not lock the database file.
    There must be another process that has opened the file.

just to be clear: i *know*, why this problems arise (well at least i have an
idea). my question is: is there a way to improve the situation (i don't want
to restart the web-server every time, i do a change).

would it be better to use ZServer? but i don't need the "content manager"
stuff. i just want to publish different types of objects (one represents a
bug-database, another an archive database, ...) using ZODB to store the
objects and using DocumentTemplate for defining the user-interface.

i hope, i could make my problems clear. thank you for any help, you can give
me,

.....coming from Kaweh Kazemi
neo Software Produktions GmbH
Email:           kaweh@neo.at