[Zope-dev] Re: [ZIP] dtml-str idea

Fri, 24 Mar 2000 08:22:35 +0000

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000 06:25:09 -0800, Michel Pelletier
<michel@digicool.com> wrote:

>I'm not sure if 'vocabulary' is even a good word for your product (no
>offense, I know one name is often as good as another), a standard Zope
>vocabulary is the collection of atomic 'words' that a catalog catalogs.
>In this way, it is the total sum of words that is known to a set of
>catalogs, so Vocabulary is pretty apropriate.  In your case, your
>product apears to map a series of words to their transations, so
>although it contains a vocabulary, its main purpose apears to be to map
>that vocabulary to other words.
>
>For the purposes of this next paragraph, I'm going to call your product
>'Translator' and the standard Zope component 'Vocabulary'.
>
>Really the best solution, I think, is to subclass Vocabulary and make
>your own kind of Vocabulary object.  Vocabulary object have a very, very
>similar purpose to your product, they contain a vocabulary.  In this
>case however, you can take adavantage of the fact that we have done a
>lot of vocabulary managment and catalog integration work for you.

I think this is one reason why it makes sense to keep Vocabulary and
Translator objects distict.

* Vocabulary objects manage atomic words.

* Tranlator objects manage phrases. (Perhaps 'phrasebook' might be
  an even better name.

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com