[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Zope in Jpython

Eric W. Sink eric@sourcegear.com
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:33:00 -0600

>>It seems like a natural way to increase the performance of Zope while
>> keeping all the power of OO and Python.
>
>Increase?  I think that's highly debatable.

I'm not sure it's debatable at all.  JPython is a very cool integration
of Java and Python, but I think it's clearly understood to be much
slower than classic Python.  Porting Zope to JPython is a natural way
to get a much slower Zope.  As a bonus, "JZope" would also be less
portable, less open, and less stable.

When applied to the kinds of things it was designed to do, JPython
is Deeply Neato.  However, porting Zope to JPython would be one of
those endeavors where the "bang for the buck" ratio which is
a negative number.

:-)

Eric W. Sink, Software Craftsman
SourceGear Corporation