[Zope-dev] Security gap in "Manage users" & "Manage permissions" permissions (IMHO)

Lalo Martins lalo@hackandroll.org
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:39:28 -0300

One thing I like about proxy roles is that you can't give a
proxy role for a role you don't have.

Equally, IMHO when you have the "Change permissions" permission
you shouldn't be able to grant permissions you don't have. And
if we want completeness, when you have "Manage users" you
shouldn't be able to give roles you don't have _except_ if
you're Manager (because otherwise it would be impossible to
create new roles...)

Is there a flaw in my reasoning?

(What I'd like to do in practice is create an "Admin" role for
a subsite and grant "Manage users" to this role, so that they
can create new users and grant the "Admin" and "Narrador" roles
for other users. But as it currently stands, if I give them
"Manage users" they can grant "Manager" to themselves and do
pretty much anything.)

[]s,
                                               +----
--
          Hack and Roll  ( http://www.hackandroll.org )
            News for, uh, whatever it is that we are.

http://www.webcom.com/lalo           mailto:lalo@hackandroll.org
                 pgp key in the personal page

Brazil of Darkness (RPG)    ---     http://zope.gf.com.br/BroDar