[Zope-dev] Zope`s FTP-server

Amos Latteier Amos@digicool.com
Mon, 1 May 2000 16:34:17 -0400

> How does Zope`s FTP-server work?

It tries to translate FTP commands into method calls on Zope objects.

>I found myself inside a
> database when I
> logged in, or at least that what it looked like. Is there
> anyway to make or
> access ordinary folders, like an ordinary ftp-account, using
> this part of
> Zope?

The FTP server provides access to Zope objects only. It doesn't provide
any special access to the filesystem.

> Can anybody point me to a document etc. that explains
> what happens,
> preferrably not the source itself.

Right now the source is about all there is in terms of documentation.
There are comments in ZServer/FTPServer.py that explain some details
about security, etc.

In general the FTP server allows you to edit Zope documents as though
they were text files on a FTP server. Many folks find this easier than
typing in textareas on web pages.

-Amos

--
Amos Latteier         mailto:amos@digicool.com