[Zope-dev] Alternative Storages: (was RelationalStorage (was LocalFS))

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Thu, 4 May 2000 20:36:19 -0500

At 9:24 AM -0500 5/4/00, Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>At 10:29 PM 5/3/00 -0500, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
[snip]

>>What would complement Rack storage well and is basically the topic is
>>multifile ZODB. If the ZODB had multifile capability and each Rack could
>>name it's file and path that the ZODB uses. Then we would have an excellent
>>balance between transparency of storage and capabilities.
>
>Yes.  But not so much multifile ZODB, as multi-*storage* ZODB or
>multi-ZODB.  I'd like to see a way for getting at (and managing)
>connections to other ZODB's from within the "primary" ZODB.  Rack already
>has the dropdown and some stub routines for using this; all I need is what
>to put in 'em.  :)

When I stop to think about what your saying I agree. My initial goals did
not so much as require multiple files per se, but multi-storage. Just like
a RDBMS can have multiple tables in a single file. As with RDBMS the app
developer here should not have to be concerned with the physical layout of
the data. That is purely the concern of the db. In this case ZODB. The only
primary gain multi-file would bring is allowing for great db size on some
oses.

If my thinking isn't straight on this, feel free to fix it. :)

Thanks,

Jimmie Houchin