[Zope-dev] Re: Alternative Storages: (was RelationalStorage (was LocalFS))

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Thu, 4 May 2000 20:46:10 -0500

At 3:20 PM +0000 5/4/00, Jason Spisak wrote:
>Jimmie Houchin:
[snip]
>What is the primary reasoning behind the per class?  Is that how the ZODB
>works now? I think it's transaction based.  I think I understand now.  It's
>like a row in an RDBMS.  Yes, we are talking about two different animals.
>I think the important thing is the transparency of as Phillip said
>"persistance providers".  A place to get you persistance, whether stored by
>class/object/transaction, they should all give Zope what it needs...an
>object with a current transaction/version state.

Actually it would be similar to a table in a RDBMS with the table being in
it's own file. As per a reply from Philip, it really isn't necessary for
this to be in it's own file. This doesn't really have anything to do with
transactions per se. Transactions are somewhat independent of this idea and
of storages. My idea had ZODB operating exactly as it currently does except
with multiple files based on classes because certain objects will have
different usage characteristics.

That said. I like better what Philip is proposing with Racks as it fully
satisfies my thoughts and provides an overall framework and philosophy for
development which much more versatile and extensable.

Hope this helps.

Jimmie Houchin