[Zope-dev] Re: Alternative Storages: (was RelationalStorage (was LocalFS))

Jason Spisak 444@hiretechs.com
Fri, 05 May 2000 15:31:20 GMT

Jimmie Houchin:

> At 3:20 PM +0000 5/4/00, Jason Spisak wrote:
> >Jimmie Houchin:
> [snip]
> >What is the primary reasoning behind the per class?  Is that how the ZODB
> >works now? I think it's transaction based.  I think I understand now.  It's
> >like a row in an RDBMS.  Yes, we are talking about two different animals.
> >I think the important thing is the transparency of as Phillip said
> >"persistance providers".  A place to get you persistance, whether stored by
> >class/object/transaction, they should all give Zope what it needs...an
> >object with a current transaction/version state.
>
> Actually it would be similar to a table in a RDBMS with the table being in
> it's own file. As per a reply from Philip, it really isn't necessary for
> this to be in it's own file. This doesn't really have anything to do with
> transactions per se. Transactions are somewhat independent of this idea and
> of storages. My idea had ZODB operating exactly as it currently does except
> with multiple files based on classes because certain objects will have
> different usage characteristics.
>
> That said. I like better what Philip is proposing with Racks as it fully
> satisfies my thoughts and provides an overall framework and philosophy for
> development which much more versatile and extensable.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jimmie Houchin

I think the RIPP model will work fine as well.  It's a solution to the
propertysheet/instance data source anonimity problem, but not the ZODB
storage issue.  Once you put things in Racks it really ceases to matter
that the ZODB contains your implementation/classes, etc...  because it's
the instance data that is a hog.  I'm going to use RIPP as well.

All my best,

Jason Spisak
CIO
HireTechs.com