[Zope-dev] Question about ZEO

Ralf Grosse-Kunstleve rwgk@my-deja.com
Thu, 11 May 2000 15:02:01 -0700

We are currently evaluating which database to use in a large scientific,
Python-based application. At the moment the best candidate seems to be
ZODB. However, we would like to use socket-based communication between
a database server and a moderate number of clients (typically 2-100) in
a heterogeneous network. E.g.:

   Machine 0:
     ZODB server.

   Machine 1:
     Long-running numerical application, gets input parameters
     from ZODB server, sends results back.

   Machine 2:
     Client running a GUI to display (intermediate) results
     obtained from ZODB server. Also used to send new input
     parameters to ZODB server.

I.e., where we are now using

  db = DB(FileStorage('junk.fs'))
  root = db.open().root()
  root['somekey'] = myobject1
  get_transaction().commit()

we would like to do something like

  db = DB(ClientStorage('hostname', port_number))

and the other code unchanged.

Will ZEO do this for us? Is ZSS the server we want, and will there be a
ClientStorage class which can be plugged in instead of FileStorage?

Thank you in advance,
        Ralf

| Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve  |  Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory |
| Scientist                 |  One Cyclotron Road                    |
| Building 4, Room 231      |  Mail-Stop 4-230                       |
| Tel: 510-486-5713         |  Berkeley, CA 94720                    |
| FAX: 510-486-5909         |  USA                                   |

Before you buy.