[Zope-dev] HTML Document?

Morten W. Petersen morten@src.no
Fri, 12 May 2000 14:06:25 +0200 (CEST)

> I was wondering if there is some such thing as a HTML Document, ie: one
> in which no DTML is parsed.

I've noticed that too.

> There's a couple of reasons I'm asking:
>
> 1. I remember the most confusing thing when I started using Zope was
> 'what the hell do I select from that add dropdown list to get a web
> page?' DTMl document/method scared me 'cos I didn't know what they
> meant. Had there been an HTML document, I would have been a lot more
> comfortable ;-)

Exactly. There's the option of uploading a file, and setting the
content-type to text/html, but that kinda sucks (you can't edit
online, can you?). There _should_ be some sort of HTML document, where
there's no DTML parsing; I have snippets of HTML in DTML methods that
could do well without the parsing. Alternatively, there could be a toggle
on DTML Methods / Documents that specifies whether or not you want to
parse it.

> 2. It would provide a 'safer' object for users of a site to add. I'd be
> much happier to let site users/members create a document if I knew they
> couldn't put DTML in it and start breaking my site ;-)

Very good point. =)

> Thinking about this, it should be dead simple to do as a product, so if
> people think it's a good idea, I'll go ahead and do it :-)

Sweet. Maybe I'll hack the DTML Methods and Documents..

-Morten