[Zope-dev] ZServer Ftp Active mode through firewall

Shane Hathaway shathaway@earthling.net
Thu, 18 May 2000 14:30:08 -0400

Kent Polk wrote:
> If we could simply solve this problem by replacing our active ftp
> clients with passive ones, it would be great, but it still doesn't
> solve the problem of clients *elsewhere* which are running behind
> a firewall and attempting to contact our server...

One possible way to solve this is to use an FTP proxy.  A quick search
at freshmeat.net yielded:

http://www.mcknight.de/jftpgw/

> And here I thought active ftp clients had gone by the wayside years
> ago, considering the problem they have with firewalls... Solaris,
> RedHat, and NT still have active ftp clients by default, which are
> the main clients boxes which will be hitting the server.

Passive mode is indeed more compatible--all the browsers I've used make
passive connections and don't even provide an "active" option.

Shane