[Zope-dev] Q2: ZCatalog Intelligent Objects

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Mon, 22 May 2000 12:56:41 +0100

Chris Withers wrote:

> Steve Alexander wrote:
> > In PTK, PortalContent-derived classes have the method
> >
> >   def SearchableText(self):
> >       "text for indexing"
>
> So, if I get this correctly, Catalog will index both attributes and
> methods(that have only the self argument?) with the same name as an

I'm not sure what arguments get passed to methods by the Catalog.
You could write a class to find out. <tap tap tap> Actually, I just did
:-)

You're right. Catalog doesn't pass in any arguments, so you can use any
method that doesn't have any args without default values as an index.

> If so, then that's cool, but undocumented, which is bad...

I guess that I always assumed a Catalog would index methods as well as
simple attributes, because methods are just a particular kind of
attribute in Python.

I agree that it should be documented somewhere, though.

http://www.zope.org/Members/pje/Wikis/ZPatterns/HomePage

--
Steve Alexander
Software Engineer