[Zope-dev] Re: ZCatalog and Unique IDs

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Thu, 25 May 2000 11:03:29 -0700

Evan Simpson wrote:

> In the case of Catalogs, much of the time we're probably not interested in
> cataloging "whatever lives at this path address";

At the moment this is true, but Jim and I have discussed the possibility
of ZCatalog being treating the paths less atomically and more as a
sequence of nodes from root to the target, this way, you could ask the
catalog for all objects below a certain point that match search
criteria, etc.

> we want information about
> a specific object.  Fortunately, the cut/copy/paste and rename
> implementations make the path approach workable.  As a matter of fact, the
> new mountable database code required changing the clipboard operations to
> use paths instead of object monikers.

And it looks like the event stuff is favoring paths also, I strongly
suggest we make sure any of these needs is captured in the proposed
traversal interface:

http://www.zope.org/Members/michel/Projects/Interfaces/Traversal

--

-Michel Pelletier