[Zope-dev] License issues

Jimmie Houchin jhouchin@texoma.net
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 16:09:40 -0600

I personally do not have a problem with the Zope license. However, I do
use a lot of GPLed software and appreciate it. I also am appreciative of
the ability to use Zope and to take advantage of the wonderful work that
DC has produced. When the original debate occurred I was in support of
DC maintaining some type of button crediting DC.

DC has provided us with an incredible tool and has provided the
community with tools in which to have a community and contribute toward
Zope. Whatever license is chosen I would like to see it be one which
protects everybody, especially DC.

About a year or two ago Lutris, the people who do Enhydra, were debating
about how to license their product XMLC. After researching the idea they
decided, with the communities support, to adopt the GPL. Their primary
reason was to prevent a bigger fish (with $$$) from capitalizing on
their work and possibly inhibiting their ability to compete.

The GPL would protect DC from predatory competitors. It would also allow
for Zope's adoption in certain environments. I also believe some people
would relicense their products to the GPL if it were Zope's native
license.

The source code maintains DC's intellectual credit and investment in
Zope. Zope.org could also possibly provide a higher profile for DC
without necessarily being "obnoxious" or being overtly/overly
possessive.

I've made some statements about how the GPL can help DC and the
community. What I don't see is if or what negatives would come into play
with such a change. Does anybody see any problems? Does anyone at DC
including Hadar and their new VC friends?

Jimmie Houchin