[Zope-dev] License issues

Juan David Ibáñez Palomar palomar@sg.uji.es
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 10:54:54 +0100 (MET)

> In article <3A1309A4.3410C1F6@texoma.net>,
> Jimmie Houchin  <jhouchin@texoma.net> wrote:
> > The GPL would protect DC from predatory competitors. It would also allow
> > for Zope's adoption in certain environments. I also believe some people
>
> And prevent it in others.
>
> > would relicense their products to the GPL if it were Zope's native
> > license.
>
> While other products would suddently become license-incompatible.

I'm not going to talk now about the Zope license, as Paul requested;
by the way, thanks Paul for your message, it has been hopefully.
Instead I'll show my rationale to decide with which license I release
my software.

As Jimmie I also like copyleft licenses because they protect my work.
But the GPL is not the only copyleft license, the LGPL is too, are there
more copyleft licenses?

The GPL-incompatibility issue is a GPL issue, one way to avoid it is
not to use it. But the GPL is a widely used license, so it's important
for me not to release software with a GPL-incompatible license.

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't want to write my own license nor modify an
existing one. For now I'll stay with the LGPL beacuse it's copyleft and
doesn't has the incompatibility problems of the GPL.

There're other issues like dual-licensing or the possibly outdated concept of
library that the LGPL uses, but I wanted to keep this message as short and
clear as possible to show the fundamental issues that are important for me:
GPL-Compatibility and copyleft.

regards,
jdavid