[Zope-dev] ZopeBug: No Last-Modified for misc_/.../*.gif objects!!!!

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Thu, 16 Nov 2000 23:14:12 +0100 (CET)

The Doctor What writes:
 > I was looking at the cacheability of my website in zope, and saw
 > that the misc_/OFSP/*.gif images (as in the icon objects) are
 > NOT cacheable because they don't return *any* date info.  If they
 > *at least* returned a Last Modified, they'd be cacheable.
My browser (Netscape 4.74) happily cashes these images.

It is not clear, why a "Last Modified" header should be a precondition
for caching.

I would expect it is only necessary, if you told your browser
(or other cache) to verify freshness for each request.
If the browser has a "Last Modified", it sends an
"If-Modified-Since" header and get a 304 response,
if not.

Dieter