[Zope-dev] RFC: Python/Zope Interfaces

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Tue, 28 Nov 2000 09:55:37 -0500

Lalo Martins wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2000 at 08:11:48AM -0800, Michel Pelletier wrote:
> > Python Interface Proposal
> >
> >   I have been working on a proposal for enhancing the existing interface
> >   documentation in Zope.  The Wiki for this project can be found here:
>
> As far as what's written on the proposal is concerned, I like it.
>
> Technically, I have one objection to the interface
> documentation system:
>
> Why must I create a new "dummy" Python file?

I don't think you do need to create a dummy Python
file. You *do* need to define interfaces, in whatever files
you choose.

> Why can't the
> system extract the data from the Python source itself?

Because the (class) source is about implementation, not
interface.  A class often implements multiple interfacs,
and multiple classes often implement the same interface.
For that reason, it makes sense to define interfaces and
classes independently.

> Duplicating work is never good, and there are even people who
> like literate programming :-)

There is no duplications. Interfaces and classes are two different
kinds of beasts.

Jim