[Zope-dev] Re: CoreSessionTracking proposal

Tue, 03 Oct 2000 17:38:50 +0000

>>> KevinL wrote
>
> Please, please, please, do _not_ use IP numbers to verify it's the same
> connection.  You guys don't have the problem in .us, but out here at the
> fringes (.au, and presumably .uk and similar), proxy server use is rampant -
> and leaning on IP breaks, because proxy's share the connection around.

worse yet, the customer may not even be aware of the proxy, if the network
provider is using some sort of device like those cruddy cisco transparent
proxies (hi Kev!)

having spent a fair chunk of the last week dealing with issues of caching
and general mangling caused by dodgy and strange proxies, I can only add
that if it's possible for a proxy to do something wierd and wrong (like,
lie about the original IP address) assume that it will.

Anthony