[Zope-dev] Re: SessionManager, BerkeleyDB, and license compatability

Stefane Fermigier sf@fermigier.com
Fri, 13 Oct 2000 09:07:17 +0200

On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 12:00:07PM -0700, zope-dev-admin@zope.org wrote:
> From: Toby Dickenson <mbel44@dial.pipex.net>
> To: zope-dev@zope.org, chrism@digicool.com
> Cc: James Wilson  <jwilson@geminidataloggers.com>
> Subject: [Zope-dev] SessionManager, BerkeleyDB, and license compatability
> Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 15:04:28 +0100
>
> I understand from the SessionTracking wiki that this product may use
> BerkeleyDB
>
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Projects/CoreSessionTracking/CurrentStatus
>
> The BerkeleyDB license at http://www.sleepycat.com/licensing.html
> indicates that it may only be distributed free of charge with software
> that is 'freely available and redistributable by others'.
>
> We are currently using Zope to develop an application that does not
> fall into this category. It would be a serious problem for us if
> Zope's core had a dependency on code with this type of license.

If I remember correctly some information I got on the Python newsgroups
long time ago, the Sleepycat people only care that Python, which is linked
to BerkeleyDB, is free. The free/commercial status of the application you will
write in Python (including Zope and third party products) is not relevant to
them.

	S.

--
Stéfane Fermigier, Tel: 06 63 04 12 77 (mobile).
<www.portalux.com>: le portail Linux / logiciel libre.