[Zope-dev] Unique and Contant object IDs

Ty Sarna tsarna@endicor.com
25 Oct 2000 15:45:11 GMT

In article <9FC702711D39D3118D4900902778ADC8128675@JUPITER>,
Toby Dickenson  <tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com> wrote:
> > Yeah, I'd love an ID I could use to grab an object no matter how often
> > it was used.
>
> I suspect you will have to build this yourself. Store a sufficiently random
> id inside your objects when they are created, and use a ZCatalog to index
> them.

For applications, this is a way to go.  For what I have in mind, it's
too fragile, and too restrictive.  I'd have to make *everything*
catalogaware.

> > Why wouldn't the following work though:
> >
> > ...in a class method...
> >
> > self.theobject = theObject
> >
> > ...where theObject is something I want a reference to and self is a
> > persistent class...

In addition to the other things that Toby points out, for my purposes,
as I said, I need a reference that can be given to some external system.