[Zope-dev] TCPWatch How-To

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 06 Sep 2000 14:20:22 +0100

Shane Hathaway wrote:
> TCPWatch is a simple Python script that lets you monitor a TCP
> connection.

...now this really is extremely useful to me, but not for Zope ;-)

However, it did take me a while to wrap my head around it. So here's a
little How-To/Example (If anyone thinks I should do this as a How-To on
Zope.org, just let me know...)

1. Run up Zope on you local machine on port 8080
2. Set the following off in an appropriate shell:

python tcpwatch.py 9080 localhost 8080

3. Point a browser at localhost:9080

Now, the tkinter window that pops up will show you a list of TCP
connections that happen and when they started.
If you click on them you get shown all the data which was sent to the
server (preceded by '==>') and to the client (preceded by '<==') as well
as the times the connections opened and closed (could be very useful for
spotting connections that Zope, or anything else, leaves open longer
than it should)

This is a very cool little tool :-)

Many thanks,

Chris