[Zope-dev] WikiDot

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:00:23 +0100

Rik Hoekstra wrote:
> maillists vs discussion platforms. This problem is caused by the
> intermingling of too many different functions of a wiki. I'll go a bit
> at length to expose these and try to strike a balance, which should be
> in a combination (did I hear WikiDot?):

Yes, well, that's the idea ;-)

> Even if there is a
> mail-notification possibility, this leads to the situation that mails
> are sent as replies to the notification (by accident) and not to the
> forum itself (I'm not sure about Squishdot on this last point).

This is a real problem for Squishdot. I hate to think how many emails
Butch has recieved at squishdot@yahoo.com because it's the default reply
to address in the Squishdot demo sites. Swishdot will hopefull not have
this problem when used in conjunction with ZMailIn.

> 4.Some people think Wiki discussions are easily dispersed. Bad Wiki
> discussions are, but discussion products are almost always dispersed by
> nature. On many occasions I have (already) seen people summarize and
> structure maillist discussions into a Wiki web.

Yes, but does that mean the Wiki is good for the initial discussion?

> The Wikis on the
> dev.zope site do a bit of this with delegating discussion to a
> discussion
> page.

Yes, but that's only advisory, it's not enforced...

> Most of these points are addressed in the proposal, but what I wanted to
> add is the notion of the necessity of integrating the three types of
> discussion into one product. That would make for a new generation. How
> would that look then:

<snip Memepool equivalent>

Funny you should say that. Some other people I'm chatting to have come
up with roughly the same ideas...

cheers,

Chris