[Zope-dev] ANN: Proposal for ZCatalog "drop-in" indexes

Casey Duncan cduncan@kaivo.com
Mon, 02 Apr 2001 09:13:28 -0600

Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Chris McDonough writes:
>  > I'd like comments on this proposal if you've got the time:
>  >
>  > http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/DropInIndexes
> Looks good.
>
> When you are changing the indexing and catalog stuff:
>
>   *  make the interface "index" public, such that
>      it can be used from outside the ZCatalog
>
>   *  standardize the result type of index searches
>      such that partial search results can easily be
>      combined
>
>   *  provide operators "union", "intersection"
>      and "difference" on search results.

That would be sweet. This whole proposal could take Catalogs to a new
level of functionality. I think the last two points would be especially
helpful. They might be a bit challenging to implement with Lazy
sequences however.

It would be nice to make the result sequence even more virtual and even
more closely tied to the Catalog. If search results were abstracted a
bit further, implementing combine operations and even sub-searching
could be made highly efficient.

Perhaps this is not in the scope of the current proposal, but I think we
should at least aim in that direction.

--