[Zope-dev] DBObjects 1.0 and Demos for Proiektor & ZQuest released

Joachim Werner joe@iuveno-net.de
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 22:22:16 +0200

Hi!

First of all, sorry if the http://demo.iuveno-net.de server is not available
from time to time. We are experiencing a very strange Zope stability problem
that has not been localized yet.

> 1. dbobjects demo is not existent
Yes, it is.

> 2. the documentation for projektor is password protected
Right. This is documented on the site now. The docs are not publicly
available yet
as they are not completely "cleaned up" from customer-specific stuff yet.

> 3. there are no downloads apparent for anything but dbobjects
Right, but better telling the world that we are GOING TO publish something
than just keeping it secret, yes?

> dbobjects distro
> 1. no __init__.py, hence not usable in zope without guessing your own.
The documentation says that it is not a product package yet. But this will
change soon, sorry.

> 2. the DBFolderishObject references a SQLTools module that is not present
>    - it does not seem to use this so i just removed the reference.
Yep, I think this is an unnecessary reference. But ask Stephan to be sure
;-)

> documentation
> 1. it should be explicitly stated that these are for subclassing in python
> and the name restrictions imposed.
Will be fixed.

> dbobjects arch
> 1. no use of volatile variables to minimize read/writes to db.
> 2. the use of exec can lead to only sorts of ref count problems, using
> of __imp__  (or imp) would probably be better.
That's what we opened it up for: Feedback on how to improve it ... Thanks!

> hopefully some of the above can be fixed, and then i'm sure these products
> will see some use in the zope community.

> kapil

Thanks again for the feedback!

Regarding the code downloads: I think code for the CMS stuff will be
publicly available rather soon. We had the ZClass version on the site
already, but now it is just a couple of days before a "real" Python-based
version will be ready for Alpha release.

For ZQuest and Proiektor we might not offer a PUBLIC download before the
code is reasonably cleaned up. but for "hard-core" developers who can live
with "half-baked" stuff as you put it: Stephan can give you the code. We
will also set up a CVS, but this will not be done in the next couple of days

Cheers,

Joachim Werner
CEO iuveno AG