[Zope-dev] 27 million objects.

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 15:01:21 -0400

> In other words, does the time to
> store/index/reindex/retreive an object change (for the
> worse) depending on whether there are 10,000 objects,
> 100,000 objects or 10,000,000 objects stored/cataloged in
> the ZODB/ZCatalog?

I don't think it makes much of a difference.  At least not a big one.

> Previously, the fact that searching performance suffered
> depending on a combination of number of total objects and
> the size of the result set (irrespective of the batch size,
> apparently), came to light, and has apparently been fixed.
> Now searching performance scales with the number of
> cataloged objects.

I think searching performance has improved significantly... for instance,
searching an indexed term inside the text of copies of the Zope mail list is
very fast now.  It wasn't actually that bad before, but it's faster now.

> So, are there any non-linear gotchas waiting for me?

I don't think so...