[Zope-dev] ActiveState / DC Collaboration

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 14:32:27 -0400

> Will the python you distribute for windows be bare bones (without header
> files like the current version) ?

I had assumed so, though if someone cares enough to champion
the effort, that could be changed.

Right now, the windows distribution is really geared toward
the crowd that really doesn't know and doesn't care about
Python distributions, etc. It is intended to "just work"
in a way that doesn't require the user to know anything
and that doesn't interfere with any other Python things
that may or may not be on their system.

The downside, of course, is that we currently don't have
an easy way (at least not as easy as the no-brainer dist)
for people who do know and do care about Python installations to
set things up to work with their current Python.

I'd be happy to support someone in the effort of fixing
this, though I can't commit to getting it done myself.
Someone with enough knowledge about how Python windows
installs work and a rudimentary knowledge of WISE should
be able to work it out so that the win32 distribution is
willing to let you pick which Python to use if it sniffs
one (or more) out on the target system.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909