[Zope-dev] general ZMySQL question-wierd results

sean@horse101.com sean@horse101.com
Thu, 12 Apr 2001 12:48:20 -0700

I am just trying to learn to use mysql and zope together (relatively new at both) .  Can
can create tables, but when I view them I only see the first character of any given
value.  If the table is named farm, I can see it listed with show tabled from
my_database at "f".  Likewise, when I select * from my_table, I see the fields listed
with value of single chars in each one and they appear to be the chars that make up
the text of my very last field value.
P r o v i d e s (each char is the value of a colum)

I am not sure how to even focus this question more than this, but what is goin on?
When I create a second table named farm_test and then BROWSE MYSql
connection object I see two things there... F and F.  Each one has the word table
under it when expanded.

Here is how I created the tables:
CREATE TABLE farm (
    owner_id int primary key not null auto_increment,
    farm_name char (40),
    discipline char (30),
    owner_fname char(30),
    owner_lname char(30),
    farm_address1 char(50),
    farm_address2 char(50),
    city char(30),
    state char(2),
    zip char(5),
    country char (20),
    phone_area_code char(3),
    phone_no_area char(10),
    fax char(13),
    url char(30),
    email char(15),
    nearest_city char(15),
    nearest_city_distance int,
    add_date date,
    edit_date date,
    details char (250))

Here is how I populate the first record:

insert into horse101.farm
(owner_id,farm_name,discipline,owner_fname,owner_lname,farm_address1,farm_addr
ess2,city,state,zip,country,phone_area_code,phone_no_area,fax,url,email,nearest_cit
y,nearest_city_distance,add_date,edit_date,details) values(0,'Riverbed
Farm','dressage','Vicki','Wall-Kelley','Volkerts
Rd.','','Sebastopol','CA','95472','USA','707','829-5824','425-123-
1234','http://www.dressage.to','webmaster@dressage.to','San Francisco',60,2001-04-
10,2001-04-10,'Providing dressage instruction, training, judging as well
as offering for sale imported and domestic dressage prospects.')

Here is how I attempt to see the records:
select *
from farm

Here are my results:
Owner id= P Farm name=r Discipline=o Owner fname=v ,etc.  You see, the last
field is being inserted into the other fields one char at a time.
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.