[Zope-dev] Zope cut & paste behaviour

Brian Lloyd brian@digicool.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 09:07:52 -0400

> For one, it doesn't seem possible to move an object more up to the root
> (or anywhere not *below* the folder the object was cut/copied from). This
> is partially due to the fact that the __cp (clipboard) cookie has
> it's path
> set to it's originating folder. I.e move /foo/bar/a to /foo/a or
> to /blah/a
>
> Clipboards seem to be local to the folder. This may be related to
> the nature
> of cookies (with their path set to that the path of that folder),
> I'm not sure.
> If you cut 'a' in /foo/bar, then cut 'b' from / and try to paste 'b' in
> /foo/bar, you'll end up with '/foo/bar/a' again. And as it is not
> possible
> to clear your clipboard (esp which opera, which cannot clear
> cookies), it's
> very difficult to move objects in these circumstances.
>
> Is there any clear reason zope behaves this way? Are there any problems to
> be expected if the path of the __cp cookie is set to /, so your clipboard
> is visible everywhere? Could ZCatalog aware objects cause problems?
>
> I'd be willing to spend some time on fixing this if there's
> nothing that it
> would break.

Hmm - we can't just set it to '/', because some people have
multiple Zope instances mapped to a domain (ex: my.com/foo/
and my.com/bar/ are aliased to two different Zope instances).

I think what we need to do is figure out the "virtual" root
url and set the cookie with that path.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909
Digital Creations  www.digicool.com