[Zope] Re: [Zope-dev] Threads Optimizing Linux.

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:22:17 +0200

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Aitor Grajal Crespo's letter:
> Hello , my question is a bit complex ( for me ). I have :
>
> - Linux RH 6.1
> - python 1.5.2 --with-thread (source compiled)
> - zope 2.2.x or zope 2.3.x (source compiled)
>
> In any program in python with Linux (inclusive Zope), the threads are processes,i.e, they consume memory and donīt share it.

this is completely wrong. threads under linux have a different pid
but are created setting the CLONE flag so they share almost anything
(address space, shared objects, etc.)

> In Linux, I have Zope running with 4 Threads. I have five processes and everyone consuming about 12 MB => 12 * 5 MB = 60 MB

this is what top tell you, but try using memstat to show the real
memory consumed by each process...

ciao,
federico

--