[Zope-dev] Zope Server hanging :-(

Erik Enge erik@thingamy.net
Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:43:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, Chris Withers wrote:

> Well, I thought the upgrade to 2.3.2b2 would solve the problem but it
> hasn't :-( I have a (very important :-S) Zope instance which hangs at
> what seems like the slightest touch.

Maybe I can help.

I've seen similar behaviour, and by some chance I discovered what it was
that was causing it - which might not be the same thing that is causing
your problem.

When, in my Zope Python Product, I call a method that does not exist, Zope
dies, restarts and then is fine again.  If something (another method or a
browser perhaps) is calling this method again and again, Zope does a die,
restart, rinse, repeat.

I think the problem is that it doesn't throw the necessary Exception, or
that it actually throws it, but it is somehow captured by a try-except
that I've put out somewhere, so it doesn't show.

The problem is fixed once I stop calling the non-existant method.

I haven't had time to check whether this is the case with the latest
version of Zope, but it is with Zope 2.3.1b1, at least.

Maybe you have a method that is called when someone access that URL, but
that method does not exist?